Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:11:21 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: A response from Prestone about Stainless Steel Pipes
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

that's the conclusion arrived at on the Samba threads.

And "Unlike some folks" I actually am testing aluminium and stainless, electrically coupled, and sitting in coolant. I'll be taking one week pictures today and posting on the thread I started about his:

http://tinyurl.com/29n7p8r

Have a look at the staring conditions and note, please, that there is a voltage potential between the metals and measurable current flow. This is as expected, not surprising considering the 2 metals involved.

What I can see so far, through the glass container, is the Al still looks bright. Unfortunately, I don't think I am able to heat the apparatus up normal coolant operating temps, that may mean that any corrosion that could happen in the cool conditions may be very slow. My next step, after taking pics, is to replace the coolant with tap water only and see what level of corrosion occurs.

Your conclusion;

"To me it seems to say that unless a stainless steel pipe is in direct contact with an aluminum part, then corrosion is very unlikely."

is a bit flawed. In the vanagon cooling system, the coolant pipes are in electrical contact with the engine via the chassis. The pipes do rub on the frame members, and if steel gear clamps are used to tie the pipes to the frame, then that is another path.

Your next conclusion: "Also, even if this is the case, if you have good antifreeze in place, this should stop this from happening."

you use the word "should". Looking at my little experiment so far, I believe that the word "will" can be substituted.

alistair