Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:36:10 -0500
From:         Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Good collaboration with a mechanic?
Comments: To: "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@OCOTILLOFIELD.NET>

Back when I lived in Houston, I found a shop that I liked for those big and dirty jobs. They were happy with whatever problems I brought to them, but also happy to let me do my own work. They would even give a word or two of advice when I needed it. They were gruff, in a friendly grease-monkey way, and so not chatty. When I say a word or two, I mean, literally, one or two words. That was okay, as I wasn't looking to make a social call.

I'm not sure how I initially discovered them, but in this part of the country (where Bricks and Bays are rare) the fact that they had a couple vanagons and an old bus (not to mention bugs) in their personal boneyard was a sign that they were at least interested in older VWs, and therefore might know a thing or two about their upkeep. I think the roots of the relationship stemmed from the fact that they didn't assume I was an idiot (and thus treat me like one) and I didn't presume to tell them how to do their job, which included diagnosing problems. If I suspected something, I would let them know what I thought and why, but then leave the issue to them. I was paying them for their expertise, not for them to listen to mine.

I'm not sure how to cultivate the relationship, but I think openness is a big part. I was honest about what I did and didn't do with my vans. When they completed a job, I always followed up directly with the mechanic who did the work, and for their part they were always willing to give me a minute or two to answer my questions. It felt like there was mutual respect.

This might sound superficial, but I'd like to think that some of their "respect" for me was due to the fact that I keep my vehicles (and their engines) relatively clean. I'm not talking show quality, but if you go underneath my cars you won't find gobs of grease and crud. You also won't find (many) ad-hoc repairs made with bailing wire and duct tape. I know for myself this makes doing the work easier, faster, and more pleasant. If nothing else, I suspect that the same is true for the mechanics.

Unfortunately, since moving I have yet to find a local mechanic with whom I have a similar relationship.

Jarrett 1989 Westy, Oly