Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:44:30 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Moderator -- Group Dynamics
Comments: cc: Ben Tan <syncro@gmail.com>

Gentlemen,

Even the best thing can be cheapened by over-use. This has been a worthy discussion but people are starting to fray around the edges. I'm declaring this, as of noon Pacific Time, a Friday subject -- but in fact I hope that discussion stops earlier than that, as I'm somewhat distressed at the overnight change of tone.

I will avail myself here of the moderator's privilege of the last word:

There is much to think of here, and I hope that people will indeed think about it and post thoughtfully, on this coming and subsequent Fridays. Mark and Michael, I'd like to gently point out that *each* of you is very specifically missing the other's point. Everyone, may I remind you that this list has seven hundred fifty plus members, and it is within the power of every one to strengthen or weaken the list. Moderators can step in at particular junctures to put out fires and can in some sense stop things from shaking apart; but only the listmembers (moderators included) can build a strong list. If you care about this list -- take care of it. Sensitive people (I am one, oversensitive in fact), guard your hearts. Abrasive people (sometimes I'm one of them, also) give some thought to the tender-skinned.

We are here as a community of friends and as John Donne said,

No man is an island, entire of itself. Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, As well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

Sincerely yours, David

-- David Beierl -- dbeierl@attglobal.net