Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:39:17 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip Report. Pics.
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

Quite an adventure Neil - adult movies, brassieres, bashed mufflers and laundromats!

You were thinking of Fort Flagler, I think. We used to go camping with the kids over that away, not to mention the Fiddle festival etc. We've been to Honeyman too and Cape Lookout and visited Fort Camby but not stayed there.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. > > The pics: > > http://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/OctoberNovember2010Trip# > > Stuff I still find, and found to be useful > > 2x4 chunks for leveling > rear table height mod + my mod to that > hanging hooks for jackets > chess set. (Antique Radio Shack version, but it still wins ;) > zip lock bags > sink mod > thermarest pillows > rechargeable folding LED light and my DIY Dot-It plug in lights. > my ToughBook (though it's slow as sin) > Eton crank weather radio > > > Trip went well. Almost turned tail at Cape Blanco due to mostly yicky > weather, but an enthusiastic Librarian at Langois convinced me to push > on South. (she being the proud owner/operator of a Rialta) I did so. > The weather cleared and that part of trip was even better. From the > start, enjoyed 101 on the Olympic Peninsula, and of course, the OR > coast. 2800 KM in total no real problems save for the unfortunate > meeting of a boulder and my tailpipe. I made it to Jedidiah SP in CA, > but at $35 for non hookup (and each site housing its own bear proof > food container .... lots of bears it seems), I turned around as I was > at the half way point time wise. One screw up was not bringing enough > US cash. (!) Glad I decided to leave a few old school travelers > cheques in the bus while cleaning out before the trip. They came in > handy due to bank machine issues and were useful for CG fee cash. > > The weather went from sun to rain, to more rain and wind, then sun > (like 70's F), fog, rain/wind etc. > > "Funny Weather....." > > Fresh sourdough, lemon/garlic saute oil, cheese, chips, bacon, > pancakes, late night bison burgers, beer and wine were consumed. No > one was harmed in the events (though a real dumb dog wanted a highway > duel near Neilton..... on a corner no less) though my chair and > "welcome" mat were lost in the process. Some weather was short-worthy, > but mostly pants on. Never really cold though. Some great memories, > awesome fires, jaunts and interesting people. Learned to enjoy "the > journey" and not the destination. > > Glad I brought the bailing wire. > > Do not use the laundry mat in Lincoln City. ;) > > > Neil. > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27