Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:46:00 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Power Charger for Van Camping
Comments: To: Pat Sloan <pmsloan@shaw.ca>

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Pat Sloan <pmsloan@shaw.ca> wrote:

> 1. Mostly I will be camping in one place for 3 or 4 days max. I will not be > winter camping or heading for the arctic, and plan to make-do with a good > down quilt if surprised occasionally by high-altitude or global warming > blizzards (I've lived at 40-below and know how to stay safe). My cooking > will be with a Coleman stove and food storage in an icebox/electric cooler. > I will probably bring along some kind of portable heater, but don't intend > to run it continuously. A lot of times I will be in campgrounds, but I > definitely want to be off-grid capable, in case of necessity or completely > irresistible location. I mostly want to be able to charge up my laptop, > camera and phone and briefly use the inside lights at night. So it sounds > like a permanently installed large solar array would be overkill for my > purposes at this time, but could always be installed later if priorities > change. > 2. Eco-friendly is a priority for me. That's why I was looking into solar. > But now it seems that (given my limited needs) the auxiliary battery > charging off the alternator while driving is just as environmentally > responsible. Works kind of like a hybrid car, I think (?) > 3. The Chinavasion solar panel I was looking at sounds like it would have a > very limited effective life. And the fact that it's portable and needs to > sit in the sun for up to 13 hours, means that I would have to sit there > alongside it so it doesn't get stolen or knocked over. This is not how I > want to spend my days. > So (if I understand you all correctly) the best option for my purposes is > the auxiliary battery route and if it isn't already set up in the van I > purchase, you guys (or the archives) will help me get the optimum > configuration? What a deal!

Lot's has been written on aux battery installations. If the PO hasn't butchered the wiring, it shouldn't be hard to install a battery or upgrade what's there.

I use a Walmart starter battery and drive ~ 50 miles or more every day or two and only charge the battery via the engine. Battery powers fridge (big amp draw 6 or 7) max. 1/2 - 3/4 hour when stopped. This fridge use is MUCH harder on the battery. So this type of battery used only for LED lights, laptop, (especially via cigarette outlet) might be ok for 3/4 days. Laptop via inverter would draw more. In either case, charging the laptop takes more power than just a little use at night. (I presume charging a camera is a relatively small draw) An electric cooler can draw a lot. I'm sure there are tables on the 'net showing rough estimates of what a given appliance draws. (google rv websites)

Yes to an aux. battery. Regardless of other power source. My WalMart starter type battery has been used for over a year to power sink pump, LED lights, occasional cooling fan, rarely for DVD player. Even after 2 days, LED stays orange (this being a rough indicator). Especially if I get a minimum of 3 hours of driving, (even when charging my laptop hint hint). I've never drawn it down to the red. I charge what I can while moving to the next spot. Typically my laptop (which is old and likely less power efficient than a modern one) and portable LED light. I use a small portable radio for tunes, USB drive on car stereo. (less draw than playing a CD)

As you're suggesting, if it were me, I'd take that $199 and put it towards a Walmart aux. battery install. (battery + shop time). No solar/battery pack to trip over. ;)

In a nutshell: charge what you can while driving. If it's safe, headlights off. Charge/power directly from 12v if possible. Use LED lighting. Electric fridges draw a lot. If you're thinking of running an electric heater off battery, forget about it. :) Draws way too much.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines