Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:51:01 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Other groups - a better one? - gasp!
Comments: To: Tom Boldway <jboldway@hotmail.com>

Right - Alfa Romeo, Mercedes Benz AND politics. None of these are acceptable topics for the VANAGON LIST.

The real problem lies with younger people today and their raging self-centredness. I see the same behaviour in the other on-line forum in which I participate.

Neophytes ignore the Newbie Stickies and post the same questions over and over and over again. Some even get snarky because professionals are not taking time out of their day to hold their hands and repeat answers just for them. Talk Bass Double Bass is a vast store of knowledge if you approach it the right way, as is the Vanagon List.

As Al points out, the VanagonWiki is also a good place to learn. Some very smart folks have spent the time to write articles and post them where people can have full access.

Just my 2 cents worth

Jake

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Tom Boldway <jboldway@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to speak heresy but the Alfa Romeo BB (www.alfabb.com) is a better > newsgroup than the vanagon newsgroup. The Vanagon newsgroup is awesome, I > understand, but the brethren in the Alfa BB understand an ITALIAN (not > German) machine and can repair your car over the internet a bit better than > the Vanagon BB. ;~) What I find amazing is the number of people who own both > a Alfa AND a VW camper. I've got a '84 Westy, a '86 Alfa Spider and a '98 > E320 Mercedes Wagon. I've had the Alfa for over a year and this may sound > insane but it is the one with the least repairs. I do fully understand it > needs to be driven like an Italian (gas pedal has two positions - off and > on, along with brake pedal which is either off or on and if you're going > under 100 on the highway you are going too slow - hard to do with traffic > today). Driving it this way keeps it happy. One thing I do with all my cars > is let them warm up for a few min before putting a load on them. I come home > from work where I go from a parking lot to a freeway - so I let the > thermostat open and the motor on the Alfa and the Vanagon open up for the > same reason - both motors are unique in the automobile industry as theya re > aluminum block/head with a cast iron cylinder sleeve that is fully wet - and > both suffer the thermal problems of dissimilar metals on fast warm ups. > > There's a few 1960's music groups that are pretty cool also (Like peaz-n > -qs - a Quicksilver Messenger group) but they have gotten a bit too right > wing for many of the members of this list ;~) > Strange how some Radical '60's folks ended up as Tea Party members ;~) > Same thing as the real cause back then, limited government is what Tea > party people want. The smart ones, that is (Nomex suit on but not really > needed as obviously you've mistaken me for somebody who cares.) > Tom Boldway

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27