Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:11:36 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling System for Various Conversions
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Anthony, most nicely, the stock vanagon radiator and cooling system is Very Adequate ...to cool most engines. A 3.3 liter 230 hp Subaru SVX engine is easily cooled adequately by a good condition stock vanagon radiator, like the one in your 89. If it's original .........it might be due for replacing..but as far as cooling ability ..or the radiator fan .. or the heaters ...all that is plenty good, and then some. No worries in that department.

sure, I'd go with stainless pipes. If full length or half-length ones joined in the middle are an option .. I'd go with the two part ones.. just easier to work on and install, and if you ever do end up working on the main coolant pipes, it's highly likely it will be the rear half .. and it's sure convenient to just leave the front halves of the pipes, and fuel tank , right in place.

personally, not being sure which way I was going to go ...keep this engine or convert to something else.. I might be tempted to just replace the split part temporarily with marine coolant hose.. just to get 'er running again to evaluate the current engine.

but the answer is 'yes' ....pretty stock cooling system. Any engine-coversion cooling system problems are due mainly to incorrect cooling system layout, or engine that allows exhaust gases into the coolant ( like bad head gasket/s .........wbxr's can do that too ) or tired stock cooling system .. but the stock cooling system is quite good at cooling most engines that you'd install.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Egeln" <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 5:51 AM Subject: Cooling System for Various Conversions

Greetings, To make a long story short, we were driving home from a weekend in Orlando yesterday and I looked in my rear view and the guy behind me had his windshield wipers on and I had water on my back window. I pulled over and there was a three inch crack in one of the long (front to back) white plastic coolant pipes. I wrapped it in extreme tape, but that wasn't enough and I had to be towed home. Anyway, I'm not sure yet if I overheated it badly enough to fry the engine, but before I replace the long coolant pipes, I want to ask the list about whether or not the various engine conversion options (Subaru, Bostig, in-line 4 etc) all used the stock cooling system. I hope I don't have to replace the engine but want to be prepared if I do, and that factors in if I buy the stock cooling pipe now. Oddly enough we just had that long list thread about the stainless steel coolant pipes, and now I'm getting ready to call Bus Depot and buy them! Thanks,Anthony'89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)