Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:30:44 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Group 41 Battery at Wal-Mart
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

--- On Wed, 11/10/10, Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

    Jack, I have been using the Wal-mart batteries for years now just of the reason that they seem to hold up pretty well and if I have a problem I can just swap them with no hassle.  I will probably start a flame war but the batteries I take out and junk the most are Die Hard the irony of which is not lost on me :-)  They should be renamed Die Easy and I when I see one in a van now I automatically cringe.  Thanks for the tip on looking at the build date, I would have never thought of that.   It depends on where you live and which Wal-Mart store you go to. Not all are created equal. it took me  trips to 4 different Wal-marts to finally get a battery replaced that was bad the first month I purchased it.   In Stockton , California, the sales clerk attached a expensive looking tester to it whicxh printed  a read-out saying my battery was OK. They told me that since they got this tester three months earlier, they did not have to excahnge or refund for any batteries.   The next two Wal-Marts used the same tester and told me the battery was OK. No amount of expalining to them it had a bad cell would change their mind-their stupid tester is now the final authority.   The last Wal-Mart passed it, used a hydrometer, and it had a bad cell.This Wal-mart had a ASE tech who knew how to properly test batteries. Even though I brought the battery in a discharged state, their tester would say "it needs a charge". The battery was fully dead within a week. Once I had to get a jump in a Wal-Mart parking lot with this battery.   I will never buy a Wal-mart battery again.   Robert 1982 Westfalia