Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:54:15 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

Hi Richard.

I'm sure we met, but I think WineGeezers wine tasting events may have altered my memory somewhat. Of course I only have myself to blame for that! ;)

What colour/year is your ride?

Good points on Stealthing it. Had considered this a few times, but in the small towns was really hesitant. A guy with B.C. plates in that weird looking van? Might stick out. :) And I generally stick to smaller towns. Still I just need to do it more and get used to it. The other part of the equation is that I enjoy popping my top and cooking, enjoy a glass or two of wine. I guess if I didn't consume alcohol, I could follow the mantra of eat/get ready for bed etc. in one location then shut er down and camp in another. But I enjoy my glass of wine. ;)

When I drive my Westy I'm on vacation, so though I shop around, I pay the going rate, enjoy my meal etc. and convenient shower. I have done my fair share of free dry camping though and that is fine too. I can go for days using minimal water for washup. The lateness of my schedule didn't cost me more for CG fees, but it did cost me in terms of fatigue which in turn increases risk. Plus there is the possibility I could have not found a CG. But. As the helpful host at last camp suggested, I could have easily parked in the parking lot across from the skateboard rink in Pt. Townsend. But for $20 (a dollar less than some of the WA SP this time of year) I got full bathroom use and piece of mind.

Neil.

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines