Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:17:45 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Heater & Coolant Line Question - and other non-tech
              Vanagon              Love
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

yes...vanagons rock and make a perfect portable hang out space !

what is wrong with full length automotive heater hose ? I mean, it's made for the application ... it's readily avialable, and it's not that expenisve. why mess with that formula ?

and plastic .. plastic ages, gets brittle with heat .. I am familiar with it for house applications. It is made for that. however.. you mention anti-frz in it ...good question. Plus ...there won't be any lip on the end to hold a hose on. plus ....it's ridgid ....won't snake and weave where it needs to. plus .it's bound to get brittle with age .. plus it might rattle. some weight savings for sure, .. but ...frankly, not the right material for the application. I'd say fine....to get home from some place you can't get automotive heater hose.

there's one thing I do to the heater hoses sometimes...it wrap insulation around the one that goes to the heater core's.

main coolant pipes can be replaced with aftermarket stainless ones eventually. I do fine with the stock metal coolant pipes. I might paint/restore them , but they're not bad really. if they're badly rotted out they need to be replaced of course.

the later plastic vanagon coolant main pipes are very thick walled.. not like cpvc at all. it's a little flexy .. those pipes are not prefect either ..the metal inserts on the end slide out of place eventually.

my vote is high quality 5/8ths automotive heater hose .. not as much fun as a clever mod/upgrade I know.. but it is the right material for the application. Made specifically for it after all.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 10:36 AM Subject: 85 Heater & Coolant Line Question - and other non-tech Vanagon Love