Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:43:37 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Keep in mind, even in a camo colored brown van, to park in such a way that your reflectors don't reflect.

I usually pull off the road, then pull off the side road, then get behind a tree or some such thing.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |Don Hanson |Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:28 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping | | One consideration for Stealth camping ... | | The color of your van. | | Probably not as large a factor in urban stealth camping, though I'd guess |it still has some degree of relevance. | | In a rural or public lands setting having an unobtrusive colored van for |sure lets you avoid notice more often. Escaping notice is escaping |un-wanted intrusion. If nobody sees you, they don't come bother you. | | I would like to have a fancy bright shiny paint-job on my dull dark brown |van,when driving down the highway or attending a Vanagon gathering.... but |after owning mine, Brown, and using it in all it's "Dull |Non-Splendor"..I've resisted the temptation to re-paint.. | | When I've returned to my "camp" in many situations, I have really come to |appreciate the way my low-key and backround-matching van does not stand out |at all. In the woods, it blends into the shadow and in open country it |does |not 'catch eyes' . Camping in the desert southwest sometimes amongst some |'normal' RVs...when returning from a bike ride or a trip away from camp...I |can see the other vehicles from miles and miles away. Not so the van. | | People are pretty 'insecure' for the most part, away from their homes.. | The "herd-instinct" seems to prevail amongst us as a species. When I find |a |nice private, isolated remote campsite, I like it that way...but all too |frequently, if some other camper should notice me, tucked-away in my |solitary camping 'find', they will go to great lengths to 'snuggle-up' and |camp very nearby....even when there are hundreds of square miles of |virtually identical and un-populated terrain, much more easily accessed. |They seem to end up waaay too close, almost every time. So if you aren't |'seen' you won't have Mom, Pop, 5 noisy kids and a couple of OHVs, |generator |noise, TV shows, etc. You won't have people cozying up and then telling |you |to put your dog on a leash....Or stopping by or sitting in their chairs, |staring into your camp because they don't know what to do with themselves |after they've fiddled around with their rigs, etc etc... | | Nor will you get some passing over-zealous public employee stopping, |because he caught a flash of color out of the corner of his eye, and |telling |you..."You can't camp here"....or in some situations you may avoid being |harassed by drunk H.S. kids on a Friday night or worse...best to blend |in... | | Don Hanson | | | |On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Brian Honan <cartruckbus@gmail.com> wrote: | |> I love the idea of an underground map that shows the best places to Ninja |> camp across the US. There have been some great suggestions on the list |> before. Like one guy stated he parked at a parking lot for the fairy in |NY, |> paid parking lot yet cheaper than a NYC motel. Half the fun of a westy is |> finding cool places to camp. We have driven into the backs of over grown |> fields late at night, rest stops of course and at every wedding we go to |> we stay in the parking lot of the Hotel where the reception is being |held. |> Recently though while in Atlantic City, late at night after a show the |wife |> was on the GPS navigating while I drove and suggested a decent size green |> spot. We drove out of the city to the suburbs |> to find a baseball field. I had a bad feeling about it ,but she insisted |> we'll be ok if we tuck up against the big public works truck parked in |the |> lot. About 20 min after getting snuggled in the back we got the knock on |> the |> side door. The officer was nice, yet stated " you can't stay here". |Tired, |> we drove off to hit the highway and got a few hours at the fist rest |stop. |> |> Brian H |>