Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:01:30 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping
Comments: To: Brian Honan <cartruckbus@GMAIL.COM>

Other places I've used:  hospitals, Starbucks, McDonald's (free wi-fi at those).  Yes, big cities are tough...so many parking restrictions...so usually stealth camping in the suburbs at night and then venturing into the city for day exploration is the way to go.  When in a residential area, I pick a dark street, and park on the property line between Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones (they each think the other has out of town guests, and by morning you're gone anyway).  Places that are open 24 hours (Safeway parking lot) are good...lots of coming and going and you just kind of blend in with all the activity; but be sure to have quality contoured foam earplugs (not the cheapo cylindrical kind, painful after all night).

Motel parking lots are great!  I don't believe all that hub-bub about your license plate number when you check in as a paying customer....I really doubt there is a guy driving around all night with a clipboard checking plates.  Least it's never, ever happened to me.  Kinda wonder why they ask for it when you check in.

The basic concept is to "try" to put yourself in the mindframe of whomever's neighborhood or business you're temporarily invading.  Will they be watching?  Do they even care?  What might be the potential consequences of discovery?

Other notes:  bright lights in a parking lot (like Walmart) are your friend!  You can watch your DVD or computer or even turn on interior lighting and it's very hard to detect from the outside (at least with my non-Westy with homemade curtains and a cross-curtain behind the two front seats...and I made a light fixture using a dozen mini-Christmas light bulbs...just enough light to see, not too bright to attract attention, low battery consumption).  In a dark neighborhood, interior lighting is a no-no...would surely attract attention.  So it all has to be done on a case-by-case basis.

Modest middle-class residential neighborhoods are usually my favorite, with plenty of other cars parking on the streets.  An advantage of Walmart, Safeway, Starbucks, McDonalds is the access to breakfast, hot coffee, clean bathrooms the next day when you really need it.

I won't elaborate on my approach to taking care of "business" (both number 1 & number 2) during the middle of the night, but you've got to be prepared for those situations, too, because "it happens".

After you do it a few times (I've been doing it since 1974 with my first VW bus), you get skilled in "the art" of stealth camping and it becomes second nature.  Sure, I prefer campgrounds and wilderness, but having options available depending on the situation is the beauty of these rolling hotel rooms.

Rich San Diego

From: Brian Honan <cartruckbus@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Thursday, November 11, 2010, 7:55 AM

Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon

> > Could the urban stealth campers share some tips on spot selection? > > -- > > VW repair shops. On the roof of a Parking garage if you can get the van in. Industrial areas. Motel parking lot, or a 4 star Hotel parking lot where you can go in the lobby and use the rest room. I would also think legal street parking alongside a city park would be nice. I have a spot (friends lot) in Pittsburgh that I can see the skyline through the trees, listen to the local collage radio station clearly and watch deer walk around the van. hope I trimmed up enough.

Brian H