Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:52:30 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stealth Vanagon Camping

A thing to consider, also, about your 'mind-set' for stealth camping.

It is no 'disgrace', no stigma, to decide you don't need or want to spend a bunch of money to park overnight and sleep. While many humans would think it normal, in these times, to spend say $100 US dollars for a bed and a shower, maybe and it doesn't even occur to them that there is another way to behave while traveling or away from home....there is no law (yet) saying you must do so. We, with our Vanagons, we are harming no one by sleeping aboard, just parked somewhere without paying some fee...(pre-supposing we are not leaving any traces of our stay)

It is not a "right" and if you 'make a statement' of it (like putting out your Barbie or setting up lawn chairs), you will likely draw the jealous attention...or whatever motive it is...of someone who will want to "stop you" .just because....

We don't need to think we are 'Dirt-bags' for not paying. I have done the "motel" thing, too...and that style traveling sucks, in my opinion. You need reservations, you have fees for crappy noisy rooms that you must drag your gear into for a few hours, etc etc. RV parks and Government run campgrounds are ok, if you need all their facilities and want to trade money for them.. I like having my own little house with me, and I am at ease being a bit out of the mainstream and not paying for a fancy RV park every night..

Don Hanson