Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:33:44 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replace Heads or Engine?
Comments: To: Roger VanTill <motelvw@gmail.com>

Roger,

You might want to consider changing to an inline VW motor, "while you are in there". I am not going to be a cheerleader for MY particular engine swap...like everyone seems to do, but.....(here it comes, anyway)

When I see "these" expense estimates to repair/replace the WBX motors and compare them to what I've encountered myself or read about from others, it 'pencils-out' that even starting from scratch, an inline VW is a much less expensive alternative. Like probably around half price, even the first time out, including gathering all the diesel van parts needed and having someone else do the work.

Then, 100-200-300k miles down the road, when that inline wears out, you can get another one for around $300, used or spring for a fancy totally rebuilt one with all kinds of trick parts for a couple of grand.

That is 'my take' on the cost factor. Performance? I have never owned a WBX Vanagon but from what I read on the list about how they go and their gas mileage..an inline VW motor is an upgrade in both areas. My opinion only, based on hearsay. Don't flame me for the 'pre-qualified' opinion, please. My own inline has given me 50k miles at 23.5mpg..I know that for certain.

OK, now the drawbacks everyone loves to cite, before everyone starts in on me and my suggestion..

There is no Kit that I know of for an inline swap, other than maybe the Tiico, if they are around still. Inline VW swaps are not "Cool" like a SVX or a Bostig...They are sort of 'old hat' and VW actually put some of these motor's in from the factory and sold them in other countries besides the US and Canada. Where's the fun in having a plain old VW motor that just runs?

Just tossing that out, the inline alternative..Many are not aware the inline VW is even a viable choice to the more popular fixes for busted WBX motors.

Also, I see many almost give-away WBX motors on various lists, as people swap to engines other than the WBX, but you'd probably just be getting someone else's problematic motor if you picked up on one of those..

Don Hanson