Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2010 07:34:48 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replace Heads or Engine?

Don, please list all the shops you know of that will perform a decent conversion from wbx to an inline VW for the kind of numbers you imagine.

People who do their own conversions can manage it fairly cheaply when they have the time and skills to do them as well as the time and inclination to round up all the pieces. The inline 4 is one of the least expensive ways for self conversions to be done. That assumes you place a low value on your own time, as many do. Shops on the other hand are another matter in my experience. They want to get paid!

There have been self converters here with inline 4 gas VW engines since before I arrived. There would be even more except that a lot of attempts fail to give happy results within the allotted time. It is harder than you think.

Mark

Don Hanson wrote: > ...... > > When I see "these" expense estimates to repair/replace the WBX motors and > compare them to what I've encountered myself or read about from others, it > 'pencils-out' that even starting from scratch, an inline VW is a much less > expensive alternative. Like probably around half price, even the first > time out, including gathering all the diesel van parts needed and having > someone else do the work. > >...........