Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:45:22 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replace Heads or Engine?
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@pottsfamily.ca>

I second on the diesels. If I could find one for a reasonable cost, I would do another van...probably my Dream Syncro.. with one of those...but those motors are expensive..very expensive.

The inline gas VW motors seem to be right there at under $500 with low miles and all the parts still attached. $300 seems to be the going rate. My complete 'revision' that I just completed took about 30hrs of my time, including everything, doing it in my 'normally' woodworking shop, hauling the motor up to the roof, crawling around under the van on jackstands...pretty crude compared to a commercial shop.

I didn't do the Scott thing..buff the bolt heads and paint everything...but I did not do any hack job. I probably have close to a grand in this upgrade..but I will get a bit back when I re-sell the heads, the PS and AC pumps, the 1.8 liter block I no longer need, etc. Don Hanson