Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:18:25 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Storage Ideas..Was: Tool roll
Comments: To: Michael Rasmussen <michael@jamhome.us>

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael@jamhome.us>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:09:03PM -0800, Don Hanson wrote: > > I found some red 'clearance lights' like on a big rig. They each have > two > > bulbs. I wired them into my tail lights (one on each side) and my brake > > lights, ... I screwed them right on in the slight channel that runs > > around my whole van and has a couple of accent tape stripes in it. > > Directly above the regular tail lights, facing aft, of course. ... > > They look pretty unobtrusive and are as bright as the stock tail lights, > > Could you post photos somewhere please? > > > Here's a couple of poor ones, but you'll get the general idea.

The running lights came from Shuck's/O'Reilys chain auto parts. The quality of the item looks pretty good. They had a single lead with a common connection supplied by the metal backing that holds the bulbs. They also had a secondary terminal (push on male spade) that was likely there if the lights were to be mounted on fiberglass. I simply cut the backer plate to isolate each bulb and used the second spade terminal as a power lead for that bulb, too. The mounting screws supply the ground for both bulbs.

I filled the back of the light base with silicone caulk, as is the common practice for marine applications and I used Stainless steel sheet metal screws to mount everything. I used a 'fish wire' to get the electrical wires through the holes and found the rubber grommets at my local True Value Hardware.

A bit tedious, this task, but the additional rear end visibility and the second set of brake lights at following driver's eye level, that seemed to be worthwhile Don Hanson photos below http://picasaweb.google.com/dhanson928/ExtraVanTailLights#