Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:52:15 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Update on Cracked Heads - Archives
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Having lived in Pulaski County Arkansas for almost 30 years, I'm curious as to who is the big merchandiser of GEX down there. There was a fairly large multi-location forgeign car parts distributor down there called Roy Rogers Foreign Car Parts that had shops in Memphis and a couple in Texas, but that was many years ago. The local VW guru, Bob Myers(Bob Myers Foregin Car Repair) might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Does all this mean that my Boston Bob long block is now worth more than when it was completely rebuilt 10 years ago!??????? I didn't think so...

YMMV

DM&FS

At 09:41 PM 11/16/2010, Jim Arnott wrote: >There is only one GEX and they are a 'worldwide' company. > >http://www.gex.com/content/index.htm > >You do what you want, but remember, you asked. GEX has a horrible >reputation among those who know (really KNOW) VWs. Their work is >shoddy and while the engine may last the warranty period, lasting >beyond it is a rare thing. Honoring the warranty has been >questionable as well. Again, read the archives. Make your choice and >move on. Another option not mentioned is Jerry at Northwest Connecting >Rod in Seattle. Be aware when you are pricing that the $2399 + 800 >core will likely be $2399+800. > >I would recommend Suburban & NWCR without reservation. AVP seems to >have hot and not so hot periods. Ron Salmon would be better able to >address their current quality. Ron has a reputation of standing behind >his rebuilds and they're significantly less expensive than the GEX >you're contemplating. > >http://www.busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=58&category=15&group=8&prodgroup=1056 > >Jim > >On Nov 16, 2010, at 2:45 PM, Anthony Egeln wrote: > >>I did search the archives, but it seems most of the posts talked >>about GEX in California not Arkansas, and mostly air cooled. >>But fore-warned is fore-armed, so I'll alert the shop manager to >>expect the worst. Maybe cancel if he can. >>Thanks, Anthony >> >>--- On Tue, 11/16/10, BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >>From: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM> >>Subject: Re: Update on Cracked Heads >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 4:38 PM >> >>On Nov 16, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM> >>wrote: >> >>>I decided to go the route of the rebuilt wasserboxer. >>>It's not my engine of choice, but it meets my current budget and >>>the local shop will support it. >>>They're sourcing the engine from GEX in Arkansas. Anyone deal with >>>an GEX engine before? They offer a 12 month/12k mile warranty. >>>Thanks, Anthony'89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) >> >> >>Anthony, >> >>You might want to Google the words "GEX Vanagon" and read for >>yourself. >> >>Avoid the GEX sites but rather look at the ones from places like the >>List archives and TheSamba. You might find that the recommendations >>are not exactly glowing.;-) >> >> >>BenT >> >> >>