Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:30:11 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: wanted: exhaust part number
Comments: To: brett rueff <rueffy@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 04:56 AM 11/17/2010 +0000, brett rueff wrote: >Im re-assembling my exhaust system. I have a 2.2L subaru engine >with custom exhaust header, but I am stock vanagon from the J pipe >downstream on a 91 Vanagon. > >My bently shows 5 special washers where the J pipe joins the >header. The PO did not have those in there. My exhaust header was >quite badly cracked. Now that I am putting it back together i'd >like to include them - I assume they are there for a reason. Can >anyone give me a part number or better yet a size/description and I >can get them from fastenall.

Brett, ETKA shows that joint with an M8x65 bolt and two washers -- a flat washer A8.4x15x4 (thick washer!) p/n 900 955 01 and a Belleville spring washer (aka concave spring washer, diaphragm spring washer) that they don't give specs for, p/n 025 251 200. This is followed by a *self-locking* M8 nut, p/n 311 101 463. Without a sample or specs there's no way to locally source the spring washer.

Unlike 26.9, it also shows every joint forward of that point with a flat washer A8.4x16x1.6 p/n 011 525 20 and the same Belleville spring, and the four M8x30 bolts holding the two cylinder pipes to the collector also use self-locking nuts p/n 022 416 4. Note that these nuts are described as "VM8" -- I don't know the significance.

It's certainly possible to stack Belleville springs as shown on 26.9; however a) I seriously think it unlikely that Bentley is correct here given that ETKA shows only a single spring and b) if there *are* five they could be stacked ///// or /\/\/ or //\\/ or //\\\ or \\//\ or \\///. Belleville Spring have a web page describing all that stuff if you're interested.

Also ETKA shows the thick washer to be below the spring, not above it.

They can't both be right -- beyond that you'll need to hear from someone who actually knows what VWAG had in mind. I have the same questions for my own exhaust system.

Yours, David