Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:56:53 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ball Joint removal.
Comments: To: Bob Cooper <rcooper012@COMCAST.NET>

you're talking about getting the tapered part out of the top of the whole upright main casting there, right ? if you are, I would not heat that part.

3 methods -

1st method..... here's how you get any tapered 'tie rod end' ... or ball joint out of what it's stuck in.

i'll just talk about the tie rod end to illustrate .. for one of those ........it's in the 'spindle arm' ... you get a pretty serious ball been hammer .. I like a slightly shortened handle for more control... and you what that spindle arm straight on the end , hard .. being careful not to hit the wrong thing ...don't want to damage threads on anything etc.

of the 10th to 30th very hard sharp whack the tapered part will jump out. Check now and then ...it might loosen but not actually jump out.

on the upright it's the same priciple.. but the part is oddly shaped, and you'll have to back it up with a sledge happer or something so you can hit the other side. It's awkward, but can work.

there is also the pickle fork ...... those work. and there are dedicated pullers ( pusher actually ) for that job too.

be careful, do good work., scott www.turbovans.com

and the real trick is getting a new ball joint that's equal in quality to the original ones. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Cooper" <rcooper012@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:36 PM Subject: Ball Joint removal.