Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:42:20 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remove, rebuild or remove and replace with a used engine.
Comments: To: A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM>

Ordinarily lifters can be removed and replaced fairly easily. But if you have one that is damaged it in turn could have damaged the case tot he point it will not come out. If that is the case - 1) tear down and rebuild, or 2) put in another engine. If you have to go the route of a tear down to get at the lifter, for what is involved you might as well think engine replacement. You can then get your van back on the road to do you some good, and you can deal with the tear down later. In the case of a trade fro another engine, then you don't have to worry about tear down and re-build. If you do keep the engine, then you can rebuild it over time to have yourself a spare engine.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 11/14/2010 9:18 PM, A PETER MARSH wrote: > Remember my broken lifter? Discovered it to be broken into many pieces and the lower half is well and truly stuck. So my tech friend gave me two alternatives - remove the engine, split the case and take out the nasty little offending piece then start to "put it all together again". OR find a used engine and switch it. > > Looking around I see so many rebuilders but expensive. > > Your knowledgeable experiences are welcomed - what is best? > > Peter Marsh > Naples > 91 GL > > Sent from my iPhone > >