Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:12:24 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: turn signal indicator weirdness
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Well he said that all 4 outside turn signals work in turn signal mode and if true that removes the turn signal switch as a possible issue.

The key to me is when the dash indicator works in 4 way mode but not 2 way. Twice as many paths to ground in 4 way mode. 4 bulb filaments in parallel going to ground versus only 2. Either something is holding the voltage slightly high at the flasher pin 3 and it takes the 4 filaments to bleed it off, OR the total path to ground is not strong enough when only 2 bulbs are connected via the turn switch. The tests I gave him may help pin this down, if he does them all.

Mark

David Beierl wrote: > > > But I'm also mystified so far about the light fail with the turn > signals. Reason being that the light circuit works like this: The > panel gets +12 whenever the key is on (except the clock which is > always powered). The LED is hooked to the panel power and its other > end goes to the 49a (output) terminal of the flasher relay. When the > relay closes that line is supplied with +12 -- whether it comes from > the 30 (unswitched) line or the 15 (switched) depends on the 4-way > switch. Either way, when the relay is closed the light sees +12 on > both ends and is dark. > > When the relay opens, the light sees one of three things: All > switches off, it floats, hooked to nothing. Turn signal switch on, > it goes to ground through one or the other pair of signal > lights. 4-way on, it goes to ground through both pairs of signal > lights. Either way it lights up. > > The snag is that both these arrangements use the same set of > wires. So far I simply can't see a way for it to work with the > 4-ways and not with the turn signals -- UNLESS the turn signals > aren't working, in which case we're looking at the turn stalk and > associated wiring. > > Mark, what am I missing? I looked at the '83 and the '89 diagram and > they're functionally the same. > > Yours, > d >