Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:43:07 -0500
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trip report -- running at highway speeds
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

One of my personal performance tests for my Vanagon, is smooth running above 4000 rpm. When engine has trouble getting to 4000 rpm, the first thing I check are the connections between the plug wires and #1 and #3 plugs. These can get corroded very quickly. If you put a little bit of Permatex dielectric tune-up grease on the top of each plug, the problem goes away. Thank you to Ken Wilford for this suggestion. I had a set of plug wires go bad after about six months because I hadn't used this grease. He replaced the wires at his cost.

John