Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:39:29 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Windshield replacement gotchas?
Comments: To: Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>

I have watched my glass guy do this many times. He never uses any sealant and there are no clips. I would pull the old one and check the lower frame corners for rust bubbles. If you find any, clean and treat with rust inhibitor. That is about it. Very similar to doing the Scirocco or Rabbit, just bigger. I usually have a glass man do it just because if they break it then it is on them. The last time I had it done about a year ago it was around $220 including the new glass. They came to the house and did it in about 20 mins. They will put in a new gasket if you wish but usually the old one is still fine.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

On 11/20/2010 12:30 PM, Gregory Smith wrote: > Due to a "smooth move" involving some 2x6s and a short stop, I'm > replacing my windshield early next week with a new one and a new solid > style gasket. I've done an early Scirocco before, and other Vanagon > glass, so I'm not without some experience. Any last minute advice for a > DIYer? Any gotchas? The auto glass guys said there may be some of the > "alligator" clips in there, that they usually remove. I was thinking of > using a black polyurethane as a sealant. > > Thanks in advance. > > Gregory Smith > '88 Vanagon GL > > Smith Design Studio > Small Building Company > Olympia, WA > 360-239-0429 > gregoryfsmith.com >