Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:12:34 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight Upgrade: New Circuit and Switch?
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Re: stock hi/low control. I should have hauled out Bentley from it's Westy home and read the diagrams first. I see now how it's an actual switch at steering column. That's a deal breaker. Ain't gonna install a foot switch from a '65 OldsmoChrysler to handle the higher load, or yet another relay so.....

.... my thoughts of a relay-less system are moot. My apologies for not reading the diagram closely first.

So I need to use relays regardless it seems. Had perused the other thread with mention of better ground location. Great tip.

Of note, find it interesting that on the '81 gas, #12 wire supplies the low beam, but hi beam is supplied via #16. Don't hi's take more juice? Or is this done b/c #16 supplies the hi beam "flash"?

Neil.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 PM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Use 2 good quality relays, with mounting tabs. One for low beams, one for > high beams. Mount them above the glovebox. Control them with a leads from > the existing low and high wires to the pass side headlight. Power them via a > direct feed #8 from the battery to a 4 fuse panel mounted next to the > relays. Ground each headlight right at the headlight buckets. > > I have done this a few times and the increase in brightness is substantial. > This works better than how the various vendor kits though it requires more > work and more parts. > > By the way Neil, there is no stock hi/low relay. > > Mark > > > > neil n wrote: >> >> Hi all. >> >> Preface: not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I know lots have done >> the relay upgrade. My reasoning is below.   :) >> >> I've been enjoying my new "Motorcycle" E4 headlights on my '81. Even >> with stock wattage bulbs, it's a huge improvement over sealed beam >> rounds. But I need more light! >> >> Thought: install new switch and dedicated circuit, (no added relays), >> bypass ignition switch, use stock hi/low relay, connect supply of >> circuit in at stock connectors to headlights. >> >> Added work aside, is there anything inherently wrong or illegal, about >> doing this? Would I "simply" tap into 30 where it enters pre fuse at >> the fuse box? (adding inline fuses of course) What gauge wire for the >> next step up in lighting?   (I bet that info is online somewhere) >> >> I used to do a lot of road gigs in a '77 Caprice with upgraded >> headlights. Amazing, but relays would cack out at THE worst moments >> (before a corner) This stuck in my mind, so thought to make a system >> that didn't rely on relays. Likely the installation was faulty on the >> Caprice, but it would be my preference to make a "bulletproof" system. >> Like all that could fail would be the switch, fuse(s), stock hi/low >> relay and switch  ..... I think   ;) >> >> >> Neil. >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> >