Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:31:01 -0500
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Headlight Upgrade: New Circuit and Switch?

I make the headlight relay kits that Rob sent the links to below. In the past couple years I have sold about 200 relay kits, many to members here on the list. Mark's suggestion to run an auxiliary fuse block to the front of the van to power the relays is a great idea, but one that is definitely much more involved than the standard relay install. I looked into the possibility of making a kit with an inline circuit breaker and a 4 circuit fuse block, but the cost would have been well over $75.00 before shipping.

Before deciding whether I wanted to offer a more expensive "deluxe install kit", I wanted to quantify the actual differences between hooking the headlights directly to the battery with a 10GA wire vs. attaching the wires to the terminals on the fuse block. I conducted two quick experiments to gather real world data on my '87 Wolfsburg. The first was to check the voltage at the high beam wire on the drivers side headlight. I found a 0.02V difference between the direct battery connection vs. connecting the relays to the terminals on the back of the fuse block. Next was to observe the actual lumen output 24" from the high beams with my photometer. I found a difference of 7 lumens between the two connection strategies using the stock bulbs. To me, the cost/benefit ratio of wiring directly to the battery didn't make enough sense to justify the increased cost involved. I should mention that there could possibly be a more profound effect from van to van, but in my case the end simply didn't justify the means.

Cleaning or replacing the grounds on your headlights will often make a significant difference in lumen output. The grounding star lugs above the fuse block can be a pain in the rump to access, but any efforts cleaning connections or replacing damaged terminals is time well spent. Adding a secondary ground as close to the bulb as possible can also add more lumens to your bulb output whether you decide to run relays or not.

When I started looking into the idea of adding headlight relays to my '85 Westy, I thought that the prices that the online vendors were charging were extremely high, especially considering the fact that they were all using standard hardware store type terminals that wouldn't interface well with the stock connectors in the van. I figured I could make myself a set of relays with good connectors for about $10.00 and they would work perfectly. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that without the luxury of a well stocked electronics store local to me, it was nearly impossible to source all of the proper parts from one supplier. This meant that the shipping charges for a one-off set of relays would cost at least as much or more than the actual parts themselves. I currently purchase my parts from four different suppliers. After factoring in a set of decent crimpers for the OEM style open barrel terminals that I wanted to use, my cost was well above $50.00 for my first set.

After some more research and cost crunching I found that if I purchased enough supplies to make at least 30 sets of relays at a time I could produce a complete kit that I could sell for $25.00 and still turn a small profit to help support my Vanagon habit.

The relays for the 80-85 Vanagon do not require any wires to be cut for installation (unless you want to replace the ground terminals, which I highly recommend and include with the kit). All of the necessary mounting hardware is included in the kit as well as a couple 10A GBC fuses (try finding those locally, I had to order 5,000pcs directly from the manufacturer) for people who want to upgrade their bulbs to higher wattage units.

The installation in 86-91 vans requires the wires coming from the hi/low beam selector to be cut a few inches from the fuse block. The relays are then installed with PermaSeal butt connectors with shrink wrap and adhesive built in for a very secure connection.

I have been running these exact relay setups I sell in my vans for two years now with zero problems. I think they are a cost effective solution for anyone looking to maximize the output of their stock headlamps and a necessity for people looking to protect the headlight switch when upgrading to higher wattage bulbs. I always try to have a few sets ready to roll, the total cost including shipping in the continental US via Priority Mail is $30.50. International shipping is also available, just email your address to thatvwbusguy@comcast.net and I can get you a quote.

Jay Brown

'85 Zetec Westfalia

'87 Zetec Wolfsburg