Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:05:36 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid Tip
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Dave,

FYI, from this website;

http://www.dietitian.com/alcohol.html

"Alcohol added to a recipe may cook off, but it depends on how long you cook it. People with alcoholism should be concerned with how much alcohol is left which will be inconsistent with a sober lifestyle. Rena Cultrufelli of the USDA prepared the following table of alcohol content in cooked foods. You can compare your recipe directions to the table to determine how much alcohol is left.

Preparation Method Percent Retained Alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85% Flame 75% No heat; stored overnight 70% Baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%

Baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: 15 minutes 40% 30 minutes 35% 1 hour 25% 1.5 hours 20% 2 hours 10% 2.5 hours 5%"

I don't know about any bread that bakes for over 2.5 hours..... Mike B.

-----Original Message----- From: David Beierl Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:18 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid Tip

At 02:26 PM 11/25/2010 -0800, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >are you saying that alcohol evaporates out of a water-alcohol solution ?

Absolutely.

>that would mean a beer or glass of wine sitting out would have less alcohol >in it after a while.

Correct. It does. For a speeded-up version -- bake a loaf of bread. Still plenty of water but alcohol all gone by the time you take it out of the oven.

>if they were serious about the freezing protection of the product, they'd >say what temp it's good down to, one would think.

Around here they do. I think -25F might be typical.

Yours, d