Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:22:25 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid Tip
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I hate to say it, but I actually know something about yeast and alcohol.

You can have higher alc tolerant yeast. I've "convinced" a pretty standard strain to stay alive up to 16.5%. Some strains have been developed that will tolerate higher, up to 20% (and maybe more?) I think. But how well they grow at those levels I have no idea.

Back to the wiper fluid freezing... don't most of the mixes use methanol as the alc?

here are some data on amount (vol%) of methanol in water and freezing point of mix (temps in celcius):

amount of methanol freezing pt.

0 0 13 -7 24 -18 35 -26 46 -40 56 -54

So you can see that, if the fluid is sold as "good to -20C", it has about 24-25% by vol. methanol. And then you just have to reduce the methanol conc. by half, either by evaporation (I wonder how long that takes at low temps) or by dilution from melted snow, for the mix to freeze at -7C.

I wonder which is happening when the nozzles freeze?

alistair