Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:15:31 -0800
From:         Matt Thyer <matt_thyer@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Early Fri. Element pop top little vangaon
              content.
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

When I started looking for Zeno all I had was a list of requirements for a vehicle. My wife and I moved to Central Washington about four years ago to get out of Seattle and into some sunshine. We landed in Ellensburg because it didn't have shore-to-shore traffic, it had plenty of days of sunshine and because I was able to obtain a long term telework contract with my company. Last year my management changed pretty significantly and I suspected that the new folks would dislike the idea of someone in a key role working from anywhere other than directly in their line of sight. Driving 200 miles a day is out of the question and we're not moving unless and until we find a better place to settle.

"Ok," I thought to myself, "what are my options." Well, I've lived in a lot of what most people would consider weird conditions. Six months in a tee-pee, out of a backpack, out of the back of a Chevey S-10, hotels, friends' couches, fox-holes, etc. Most of these living arrangements were the result of a) not having very much money and b) not having very much time to adjust. This go around I had a little of both so I decided I wanted to find a life-long solution for mobility that would fill my basic needs on the go and add a little comfort to the mix for good measure (there's nothing like losing sleep because you're staying awake all night to stoke a fire in blizzard conditions).

I actually didn't start looking at VWs. I started by considering the newly on the market set of options. The Element conversions were a leading contender as well as a car-top mountable clam shell tents that are out there. I tried a lot of different options including the cost prohibitive GMC full size and Sprinter Class-B conversions (used and new). I found Zeno while browsing eBay and I haven't had cause to look back.

Like most good things we've had to work on our relationship. There's still more work to be done, but I don't have any plans to get rid of that vehicle. There's nothing else out there that fits my needs so well. Yeah it's a pain in the ass when your fuel gels or when your CV assemblies start clacking. But I get 32 MPG in a vehicle that can crawl up and down untraveled forest roads the world over and at the end of the day I'm pretty comfy when I crawl into bed.

Just like the ol Man in Black I walk the line for VWs.

MT

From: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wetwesties@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:22 PM To: 'Don Hanson'; 'vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM'; Pat Sloan Cc: 'WetWesties' Subject: Re: [WetWesties] Early Fri. Element pop top little vangaon content.

you're right .. there hardly is any substitute for the vanagon and VW camper community .. There are other useful vehicles.. but often not in the same configuration .. a portable living room/kitchen/bedroom. They rock, there's no way around that . and thus they are very worth caring for.