Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:17:08 -0500
From:         A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM>
Subject:      I too have a monstrosity

Ladies and Germs,

It is 33 years old, was, and still is according to my GMC Sunshine Statesmen group -the best design of all time. BUT - my monstrosity has been recycled many times in those 33 years. Lots of new bits - especially things like fuel lines, stand-by electric fuel pumps that can be switched on when the four barrel carb reservoir boils away as it super heats while sitting on top of a huge rebuilt 455 with maybe 10k on it, because the stop lights in Naples take forever to cycle!

However - it has no rust on the frame, the body is constructed in a similar fashion to an airplane with aluminum ribs covered with fiberglass. Front wheel drive, headers, three inch pipe, twin flow masters - just like a hot rod with plumbing. I did a renovate a coupe of years ago and threw away all the propane "stuff" and went all electric inside. New 10 cu ft Magic Chef (normal 110v) fridge which is shore powered when parked - also powered with an inverter when on the road. Also put a couple of new roof ac units as the 31 year old units were struggling in the Florida summers - all this powered by a twin cylinder 6KW genny (also 33 years old).

What I'm getting around to saying is - some times the "old" stuff is better than the "new stuff" and available to peasants like myself, who could NEVER in a lifetime afford a newer rig. AND - wait for it - my much younger 20 year old Vanagon will look really special being pulled along the road as my toad. That is, once I get this engine replaced and fix the body at the front and - you know how it goes - blah blah blah.

Keep smiling

Peter Marsh Naples