Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:35:43 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Private Re: [VANAGON] Reality Check on New & Better VW Campers
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

At 08:06 AM 11/27/2010, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: >A bizarre thing to me is that if one buys one on credit, one gets >the same tax break that anyone paying for a house on a mortgage >gets. For that matter, the same goes for any "motor home," whatever >class it is.

If it has the living facilities of a home, you're allowed to treat it as a second home under Federal tax law, which considers that two homes is not an unreasonable thing for Americans to own. Same thing for boats. The Vanagon misses out because it hasn't got an enclosed toilet, but there's at least one German conversion that would qualify. If you spend two weeks a year in one that's as much time as many people spend in their little hideaway on the lake (or whatever). And people do in fact live in them, sometimes full time -- big RVs, little RVs, big boats, little boats, even Vanagons.

Out of sincere curiosity, not to argue -- what in the area of both moving and stationary secondary living facilities/means of travel defines your perceived continuum of responsibility vs irresponsibility? Does it involve $expended/person, $capital/person, ft^3/person, hydrocarbons used/person/year, incremental stress on transportation infrastructure/person, wretched-excess quotient? Is it the machines themselves or the way they get used that bothers you particularly?

To give an idea where I stand -- I think my brother's motor home is a remarkable piece of engineering, and in many/most ways it's very well done, though not always the way I would have done it and certainly not always to my particular taste. I think it would be extremely well suited to something that my father used to seriously talk about -- sell up, buy a motor home and rotate around the country spending a few months at a time with each of the widely-scattered children. Use it, in fact, as a primary home, one that can relocate itself and does so from time to time.

This particular one has accommodations for three couples, or at any rate three double berths. For six people to tour the country it seems to me a reasonable arrangement and possibly even an economical one if you ignore the initial cost(s). Renting one to me would make more sense, I think, but undoubtedly has its own complications. I'd also favor one with no slides -- but then the accommodations would look a lot more like those of a 35' sailboat, which is not something that six people would be comfortable in for very long. Four people, yes. My 8' x 52' house trailer back in '76 (oops, mobile home, sorry <g>) had living accommodations for two, so house-like accommodations for six in a 35' motor home is really something of an accomplishment, even with the slides.

The one your sister has probably was priced in the stratosphere. This one's toward the low end of what I call "serious" motor homes -- rear diesel, purpose-built chassis. He paid roughly 3/4 list price for it -- about 6/5 of what my 1400 ft^2 American Four-Square house in Providence would sell for today, or about 3/4 what my insurance company thinks it would cost to rebuild. And six people living in my house would be two in a berth, or at least two in a room. Granted, not the living room.

Not my taste -- but I have trouble calling it irresponsible as a given, even with the 5 mpg. A trio of Vanagons might not do much better, at half the weight. My own design would *be* half the weight, and I'd hope for ten mpg which is about what my 15,000# milk truck got. Of course it never went over 45 mph, 'cause that's where the governor on the engine was set. [10 mpg and 10 cents a quart gross profit -- fairly iffy proposition in 1978, which is why the dairy was selling off the routes instead of keeping them in house. I guessed and paid myself $125 a week, and when we cashed it all out four months later turns out I guessed just right! I'm very glad I did it and was very glad to stop.]

I'm an old-Vanagon and old-30+' sailboat guy, and for the same reasons -- you don't stand out, you can stop pretty much where you want to, two or three people can be quite comfortable if they take it in the right spirit and don't mind living partly outdoors, nobody looks and thinks geez, I wonder what they must have paid for *that*. A Vanagon's actually more comparable to maybe a 22' sailboat, or a 25-footer if it's a Westy; but you don't sink into the ground when you step outside which alters things a little.

But my 90-y/o mother, and my eighty-some father with fairly advanced Lewy-Body dementia managed ok on a round-the-country trip in Chris's behemoth, which they sure wouldn't have in my Vanagon. We were actually seven -- I slept in the front passenger throne. The emotional climate was horrendous and I bailed out halfway through, but physically things worked very well.

Best, David