Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:17:41 -0800
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front panel availablity
Comments: To: A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM>

I have also been looking for a new front section to repair my single cab and I have struck out with locating "NEW" panels. The body shop that I am working with has also used their professional network in an attempt to find new and they also have found nothing.

I definitely need the panels so I bought the entire nose of a Vanagon from Absolute German in Seattle. The body shop plans to harvest what is needed from it plus it will provide them with an opportunity to learn first hand just exactly how it is assembled BEFORE cutting into my "Precious". A dry run if you will...

Because of the way our vans (and other uni-body vehicles) are put together, they will actually need more than just one donor vehicle to end up with enough good panels to reassemble/repair my truck correctly. With that in mind, I recently purchased a complete parts van (that had an engine fire) to provide whatever they cannot get from the first donor.

My point is that correctly repairing the damage to my Transporter is not quite a simple as I'd hoped it would be. The body shop I'm planning to use has been very open about the process and estimated that just rebuilding the front of the van will take about 40 man hours (this number was also quoted by another more Vanagon savvy repair shop). The 40 hrs does NOT include my time to strip down the body (remove bumpers, lights, radiator, dash, etc) or any real paint work except priming/sealing/painting behind the panels as needed.

Wow! The collision that caused this damage was NOT my fault but it has given me an incredible education!

As a side note, I would encourage everyone who has more than "blue book value" invested in their vehicle to get it professionally appraised AND carry an "agreed value" insurance policy.

And regularly check/change your fuel hoses! The burnt parts van I bought was a clean, low mileage and rust free passenger van that died a horrible death way, way too soon. Don't assume that they are OK because the PO or a mechanic said they were... Learn how and check them yourself! I know I'm preaching to the choir here on this forum but I'm amazed by the number of vans I come across that still have their original fuel hoses.

Andrew Bainbridge Island WA