Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:07:04 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: No brake lights
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

At 10:30 PM 12/3/2010, David M wrote: >I have no brake lights. I checked the fuse and the bulbs. Both good. >What next? I looked in my Haynes and Bentley and no information on >how the brake lights work other than a wiring diagram showing a 'switch'.

Get your test light or voltmeter and a twelve-year-old.

Start by seeing if your backup lights work both sides. If so then the grounds from the light assemblies to chassis are ok.

Move to the front and check at the switches on the brake master cylinder, if they're reachable -- pretty sure they are. You should have constant voltage on the red/yellow side of each switch, and voltage on the red/black side when your assistant stands on the brakes.

Or you can make the same check at connector T2g, double, under the dash if it's reachable. Either way if good there, go to the wiring box on the forward engine-room bulkhead and locate the black/red wire on pin three of a seven-pin connector. If voltage is good both sides of that, check at the 54 terminal (double black/red wire, don't know how it's marked) of the leftside taillight assy.

If you have good voltage to that point and no lights, then you're pretty much left with bad bulbs or bad contact, probably between the bayonet pins on the bulb shell and the steel socket. The fact of both being bad, though, suggests a problem farther up the line.

If you follow along what I've done on the diagram on 97.114 tracks 125-129 and on 94.6, 97.4-5 and 97.103 you'll be able to do the same for similar problems without assistance next time.

Yours, David