Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:15:30 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: AFM operation query was Re: MAF Sensors  and the Vanagon
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I agree with that .. that thinner high altitude air will move the vane less for a given engine rpm, however.. I think the affect is very tiny.

Naturally asperated engines suffer from shortage of air, period, .... and not so much from sensors not repsonding .. is my hunch.

I find it very interesting to note that an AMM compensates for barrometric pressure, and humidity. Very clever device and system.

it seems to me.............to get a useful input on a digifant ECU from an air mass meter.. there would have to be an electronic circuit .. a Control Unit ....or Interpretation Unit ........with electronics in it... to provide a useful input to the ECU........from an AMM.

if it was easy to do ...wouldn't been done by now. I'd rather take a whole other 4 cylinder EFI system from another car . For example.. my 88 740 Turbo volvo sedan ( non-turbo would work nicely ) .. that's a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder gasoline engine .. with no engine position sensors anywhere... like digifant, it only knows engine rpm from the distributor .. so .. if you can get that AMM Bosch EFI system to interface with a vanagon four cylinder bosch distributor ... .... I don't see why the rest of the entire volvo/bosch EFI system can't work... Has knock sensor too.

I have a plan to run a 5 cylinder Euruovan off Vanagon Digifant EFI .. and ...conveniently ..the distributor plug on those two engines is the same .. and I would think the Vanagon ecu won't care, or even know, that it's firing 5 injectors as one , instead of 4 injectors as one, on a vanagon. And the ignition ignitor portion of the ecu won't care or know really that it's putting out 5 'coil events' for every two turns of the engine instead of 4 as on a vanagon.

that's all I do often.. find something very similar but more evolved, then adapt it.

I have a plan for Subaru EFI on a waterboxer too .. For crank position sensor ....build one on at the crank pulley or near there ... for cam position sensor .. the distributor can tell the subaur ECU what the engine position is ..though rather crudely compared to how subaru does it actually on the cam sprocket.

and as always .. when you adapt one system to operate like a more evolved system .. as soon as you do that a little bit ...you want to jump ahead to the entire dedicated more evolved system anyway.

what fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 11:23 AM Subject: AFM operation query was Re: MAF Sensors and the Vanagon