Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Dec 2010 21:49:13 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: I was wrong -- how the AFM *really* responds...
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com>

At 07:44 PM 12/7/2010, Karl Wolz wrote: >Nice to have all the toys, eh?

Would you believe that scope cost $54 new? It doesn't have a full case, just panels front and back; and it's certainly not a great scope; but that a scope of any description at all could cost fifty bucks makes my eyes bug out. It's made by JYE Tech. And they're about to bring out one with 10 MHz bandwidth instead of one, and 10 mv/div instead of 100, and a full case - and you can buy a "beta" version right now for $75 including power supply and a 20 MHz probe. Since the probe sells for about $20 by itself that makes it the same price as what I have. Don't know what the fully-cooked version will cost; I'm hoping for $125. They use an AVR microcontroller chip from Atmel.

>About how many rpms did you get up to in these tests?

The ones in the pictures, probably not over 3500. Notice that the longest one is not quite half a second. I did a couple that went higher, but they were too long to fit on the display for photographing. At some point I'll have some with the engine under load.

>I like just how smooth the voltage increase is.

That's how it spozed to be. This engine has the VW dongle on it, but I picked the signal off upstream of the dongle so this is raw from the AFM.