Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:01:41 -0800
From:         Annie <lsandrsn@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice, questions, help request
Comments: To: Michael <michael@jamhome.us>

Hmmm .... Zipcar.... that's a thought but I don't think they're all that close to me since I'm not in the city. I'm about an hour North of Seattle. I will check in to it though. If there are some close to me, it might be a good option. And the nearest bus stop to me is a mile away so that pretty much rules out public transit. ;-)

The main reason I have even been thinking of a 2nd car is that my teenager is going to be needing a car. She drives the Vanagon now and does fine with it but she's hoping to get a job soon and will need something she doesn't have to worry about using when I need it. She will be doing most of the errands while I'm incapacitated. The main reason *I* need something else in the interim is for going back and forth to doctors appointments, physical therapy and such. Whether I am driving or simply a passenger, I anticipate that my limited range of motion and physical ability will impair me being able to easily get in and out of the van.

I suspect with my mobility limited, it could be 3-4 months before I am really able to get in and out of the van successfully, even with step stools and other aids. (By the way, whomever mentioned a cane - I actually *do* walk with one now. ;-) Probably will for a while after surgery too.)

When I was discussing vehicle options with those in the know recently, I was told that insurance may not help provide alternatives or modifications to the van because of it's age. If it were a newer vehicle, they may pay for assistance items should I need any.

Anyway, thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm open to any other thoughts and suggestions as well!

*Annie Anderson* Blogger, Designer, Thinker & Mom web: annieandersonblog.com email: lsandrsn@gmail.com twitter: silverlunace <http://twitter.com/silverlunace> facebook: anniesanderson <http://facebook.com/anniesanderson> *Blazin' a trail where there is no path.*