Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:23:44 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      brief snowtire review

Its not a very complete review, but here it its.

This, and last winter, I have been using Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS unstudded snow tires (195/75-14) on my syncro. Its a very nice tire, great load range (102/104) and very grippy in snow, slush, ice. (Well, not as grippy as the set of studded earlier C series tires I used on my 2wd westy. The studs were crazy good).

I bought these tires used, from a guy moving on to 15" tires (Van cafe tire and wheel combo, Nokian WRC tires). They were affordable that way, otherwise i would have to pay close Ca$200 a tire installed. Its a real shame that in western Canada one tire store chain has the monopoly on these tires.

If you can afford them, or find some special deal, I can highly recommend these tires.

Just recently I bought a set of "gently used" Vredestein Winter Comtracs (185/80-14) and I put them on the van a few days ago. These are the tires sold by Ron (http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp? partnumber=COMTRACWIN).

They are quite similar in tread pattern to the Nokians, and also have the high load index that I want.

-I'm not going to comment on the passenger tire on vanagon debate, except to say that I use my vans hard, heavily loaded on logging roads etc. I am not at all interested in tire failure on a camping trip-

While I have not had the chance to test the Vredesteins on snow or ice yet, I can say that the feel just as secure on the hwy in (heavy) rain as the Nokians. Perhaps they have a tad less road noise than the Nokians (the Nokians are louder than my summer tires, Agilis 81s). If they work in the snow as well as the Nokians then I have no hesitation to recommend and favour them, esp. as they are less expensive.

Over the next month or so, I hope to be able to take a couple of trips into the hills around here. I should encounter some snow, as well as rough roads, gravel, mud, puddles etc (gee it sounds like I am a masochist) and I will report back on the snow performance of the Vredesteins.

alistair

'86 syncro 7 passenger '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ http://shufti.wordpress.com