Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:41:05 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1977 VW van hybrid
Comments: To: Angus Gordon <birdworks@GMAIL.COM>

Electric motors make full torque from zero rpm, so cars that are converted from gas/diesel to pure electric usually keep the manual trans the car originally had.

I asked someone with a converted Fiero one time about that.. they said 'we just leave it in 3rd gear' .. and .... Pual G is the EV guru here, but I beleive they just reverse polarity via the controller to go in reverse.

converting a IC engine car to EV .. is kinda a 'lashup' anyway. For one thing ....you're adding a thousand piunds or so in batteries ...which is a huge new load for the suspension and brakes to handle ... Like, e any originally IC car will be at a disadvantage compared to something designed and built from the ground up as an EV.

there is one EV Vanagon already I believe. problaby more than one would be my guess.

there is one car ...forget what it is .........might be a Porshe 924 conveted to pure EV .. for longer trips the guy built a 'pusher trailer' .... He took the front end of a disel Rabbit ... and built that into a powered trailer to tow behind his EV car. Then ..when he needs more range or more power .. he fires up the diesel engine in the rabbit-based pusher trailer , in flight too... Makes a nice range extending and power boosting pusher trailer. Pretty clever I thought.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Gordon" <birdworks@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:28 PM Subject: Re: 1977 VW van hybrid