Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:24:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [VW gas I4 Conversions] AFM ? (as related to the air filter
              housing)
Comments: To: vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com
Comments: cc: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

Hi Don, Air Flow Meters are designed to operate right side up ...and 'flat' ... like don't tilt it on end, or twist it 90 degrees from horizontal.

they're not 'calibrated' too much anyway to a specific air filter or air box.. In general.....a bigger air filter is better ... I just look at what modern cars use .. take a 1.9 liter TDI inline four jetta/golf engine .. they use a pretty large air box on those ... one would think the goal is to have as much cool air available to the AFM as possible. And less restriction there would be better too.

if you don't mind intake roar ....sure, use your sock type filter. Those don't filter for beans in real dust though, as far as I'm concerned.

if you are familiar with the 'pre-filter swirl' device that syncro's have ..for any desert use or lots of dirt roads, I'd work on incorporating one of those into the system., I have two of those .. I install them on 2.1 waterboxer vanagons sometimes. I had a van that went to Burning Man with one of those on the air filter , it kept a lot of fine dust from getting to the paper filter.

oh ..while we're here.. I have a K & N Air Filter for a 2.1 waterboxer vanagon .. fairly newish looking. I'd sell that for a fair price. I'd use one of those if it was mostly driving on pavement . and low restriction was the goal.

have fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: Don Hanson To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:17 AM Subject: [VW gas I4 Conversions] AFM ? (as related to the air filter housing)

Is there anything to preclude a remove/replace of the Vanagon air filter housing with something more direct? The AFM seems to be connected, or at least adjacent to the stock air box in my vehicle (an 84 with an inline Jetta gas engine mounted diesel style, using the stock vanagon air filter, etc) I'm toying with the idea of devising a more effective intake tract...smoother, longer and less restrictive. I have not been inside the airbox to actually see how the AFM functions, or whether it's proper function is dependent on it being attached in a specific orientation and calibrated to the standard Van filter housing..hence the question.

My thought was to use one of my 'sock' filters (I have 8 leftovers, 3 1/2"x 12" long, oiled foam filter element, over a spring inner cage) l from my racecar. I'd like to mount that up inside the D-pillar, connected with either PVC or aluminum and silicone intake tract, configured to be less restrictive and to supply cooler air to the motor..

Most other engines I have owned and modified have responded well to 'freeing-up' the intake and making sure the incoming air is as cool as possible...especially after the "other end" of the system has been improved. There seems to be more room in the engine bay, what with the inline motor, to 'mess around' with the intake tract..

Can I do that without upsetting the AFM?

Don Hanson

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines" group. To post to this group, send email to vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines?hl=en.