Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:56:48 -0600
From:         Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wiring in a new Stereo Unit

last weekend, before having some bodywork done, I decided to replace the in-dash stereo in my 82 Diesel Westy. I had already wired part of the new harness together some time ago, then recently ran new (with four conductors) speaker wires to the rear. The only thing left was to wire in the power. These new stereo units need constant power from the battery so that the memory of all of your settings remains intact, and also I wanted to be able to have the stereo operative with everything else (like door buzzers) off and no key in, etc. I bought a unit with a remote control so I can operate everything from the bed position. With a detachable face, I presumed that by removing the face the only draw would be the memory sustaining load, and not the LED glowing at the ON button on the faceplate. I did not have time that day to test this.

The next day, I took the bus to the bodyshop and had a dent repaired. They had it until yesterday at noon and when I came by to get it they said "we couldn't start it without a jump this morning". Well the battery is pretty new so I suspected the recent wiring. After jumping it, got it home and pulled the battery ground strap. Found a constant 0.7A draw, which I knew was more than the clock. So went to the power source I had chosen at the back of the european power outlet and found a 0.69A draw. Bingo - even without the face plate on, this unit at least draws enough power from the battery to drive it dead after a few days. About like leaving your dome light on.

Solution was to insert a switch leg into the amp power lead, to a dash mounted toggle switch. Now with the clock and the memory sustaining power there is a 0.02A draw with the new switch in the off position. So now I can leave the faceplate on and just use the switch. The faceplate is the "pilot light" so I can tell if I have left it on. Hopefully, this slight draw will not pose a problem even if I leave the bus parked for a week.

By the way, the back of the european power outlet is a very handy place for obtaining constant power. It's on fuse 9 which is 16 amp without much else on it. Most of the 16 amps is for the power outlet. It's also readily accessible with a male blade on the back and in the area of the stereo. Since I have a diesel, and have removed the Eberspacher heater, I used the hole in the dashboard left by the heater control. So, it's unobtrusively next to the cold start knob.

Don't know if all of these new stereo units draw this much power when in the "off" state, but it doesn't seem possible to determine until you have wired it in, none of the manufacturers seem to publish this fact nor the actual draw.

-- Alan Felder Austin TX 82 Diesel Westy