Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:09:14 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Our deepest fear

yikes! I'm glad those folks are OK! I always am interested to see the Vanagon front crash photos because that is what I worry about driving my van. This looks like a head-on glancing blow with a large pickup truck. Looks like it's bumper was too high for the lower crash structure to do much and it rode up the front of the van. Look how the dash is curled over toward the read. Especially note the brake fluid reservoir and it's brackets which are normally horizontal. Also note the A-pillar deflected in somewhat and separated from the roof. Thank goodness for that sturdy A-pillar in this crash. Then it looks like the truck pulled the window frame down as it slid off van. Thank goodness too for the articulated, collapsible steering column. I get the heebies whenever I look at an old beetle or bus or many older cars with the solid steering column going from the steering wheel way out to the front of the car. Like it's saying, "here accident, shove this metal shaft into my face, chest, etc."

The way the dash is impinging on the front seat and the bent steering wheel makes it hard to believe the driver had only minor injuries. Either the steering wheel was bent by the driver's body, the truck pushing into the cab, or maybe to free the driver? Any of those seem like there would be more serious injuries. Maybe the dash is just loose flopping down there on the seat.

At 10:05 AM 12/12/2010, Paul Guzyk wrote: >Glad to hear everyone is ok. >Looks like the crumple zone, impact beam in the front of the Vanagon, and >break apart steering column did what VW says they do in an accident. > >I would not want to be in that wreck driving a bay window bus.... > > >Link for images: > > http://www.benplace.com/christ_subi2.htm > > > >