Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:27:22 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gear Oil: Opinion/subjective experience..long.
Comments: To: Daryl Christensen <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>

The reality here is that these transmissions are at their thermal and stress limits for the stock application. I have found that any change including tires has severe consequences for these boxes. The problem is worsened by the fact that the housings also become distorted under load and age and just like the engine cases are often not good candidates for rebuilds. Especially for the Syncro boxes.

For oil you really need GL-5 or GL-6 lubricants to protect the gears under stress. For those with bi engines consider using a 85w-140 viscosity. Shifts will be stiff in winter but after a few miles will be fine. The boxes will also be quieter. There will also be slight fuel economy penalty but longevity is the goal here.

Dennis

I have been trying to determine the real world reason for some transmission failures lately that seem to be oil related. I am starting to see some serious issues with transmissions rebuilt a year or two ago that are worn way beyond normal. Granted none of these are WBX'er motors, but Subie 2.5 & 3.0's, 3.3's and TDi's. In taking apart units for gearing upgrades or odd failures, I have seen abnormal wear on ring & pinions, pinion bearings and the mainshaft's 2nd gear teeth primarily. Some were using Redline MT90 and some Lubrimoly among others. As the drivers of these rigs are generally not hot rodder's and drive conservatively, even off road (that's you Bob S.), I suspect it is an oiling issue. Two of these even had oiling plates installed as well. In rebuilds of Porsche 944 and 911 tranny's that are raced weekly and using Swepco 201, I see broken R&P's from shock loading, but NO tooth wear even after getting beaten hard and put away wet. Now what says me to myself...Are only the non stock motors in heavy Syncro Westies at risk?? Highway normal usage should not cause such wear with good synthetic oils.

Swepco seems to be a better oil for most I am thinking. It is a mineral oil and can cause some stiff shifting when cold and is $50/gallon. Redline MT90 seems to be the best for notchy gear changes and good for a stockish pass van, esp in colder climates. Always thought Lubrimoly was a superb quality oil, but seen some with issues that can't be explained away lately other than oiling problems. Amsoil is said to be a good oil, as is Royal Purple, but I have no long term evidence any of the above mentioned are better than another with the exception of the Swepco. Cost of some oils such as the Lubrication Engineers stuff at over $25/qt is generally prohibitive for most non racer "normal" people and also not easily available.

What's the general consensus here group??? Open to suggestions. Anyone do any research on oils or have any personal real world hard evidence reasons to use one over the other?? Tell us your stories and maybe I wont have to give so much bad news down the road...

Daryl of AA Transaxle 425-788-4070 "On the cutting edge of Old technology" 86 Syncro Westy with a Zetec in the trunk AND with a Turbo being installed next week.

Subject: Gear Oil: Opinion/subjective experience

Manual transmission, 5sp hooked up to a 2.0liter ABA Jetta motor putting out (guessing) maybe 140hp. In a low top van with a partial Westie interior and 14" wheels.

I recently reworked the driveline of this van, building a more powerful motor with a custom exhaust, replacing the clutch, doing the CV joints, trans mount, etc. When I re-installed the tranny the second time around (don't ask)...I went with Redline MT 40. I have used this before, but I had been running Swepco 201 right up to the engine swap. I put about 1000 miles on the van(and the MT-90) so far, and after my exhaust system was finished and the mountings finalized to make everything real nice and smooth, I could really notice the difference in the gear noise. Using the Redline, the shifting was a little less smooth, but the lever moves easier. The Redline feels like what it is....much thinner than the Swepco, not so "slick" feeling.

So I drained it again (into a nice clean pan, then put it back in the bottles for later use somewhere) the Redline MT-90 and re-filled with Swepco 201. What with my quieter exhaust system (significantly quieter and smoother than the one I had before the new motor) I can certainly feel and hear the difference...It just feels 'happier' back there, less 'stressed'...less "busy". And while it has only been down to about 20f so far, I have not felt the expected 'stiff-stick' with a cold gearbox. I also don't feel the slight hesitation that I did as the syncros worked, like was the case with that MT-90 . I will be interested to see how my gas mileage is affected, there should be some difference...I have been getting 23.5 with the MT-90 and the new 2.0/1.8l hybrid motor. I expect more from the Swepco, especially on sustained high speed driving. It seems much 'slicker'...

We'll probably have some comments from the Peanut Gallery now, saying...."Oh, you can't use Swepco..it will ______________ your gearbox"...but I ran it all last year and the inside of the gearbox looked immaculate when I had it apart recently...with no deterioration on the bronze or any ill effects.

Just saying, as my subjective opinion....All those Porsche guys are onto sumpthin, running that high dollar dino oil in the gearbox..

Don Hanson