Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:39:17 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire vendors
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

I also have used the 215/70-14 passenger car tires on Vanagons including my own Syncro Westy. I did not do it for cost savings though. I considered them an upgrade. On a trip down to Florida a I had one of original Michelins ( I had my van from new) experience a tread separations. My wife was driving, I was sleeping in the back. She had no idea what was happening. She got it off the road OK but there where tire pieces everywhere and the Viscous coupling showed it displeasure by the smoke pouring out the front diff. Anyway I purchased a set of Bridgestone HP-41's in that size (all 5). The handling was greatly improved in any weather. That set went over 60,000 miles including the trip from NY to Alaska and back. No flats or failures even taking the haul road to Prudhoe bay. When they finally went I upgraded to Derek's/CV-900's and 215/65-16's.

Dennis