Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:22:54 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure light comes on after about 7 minutes.
Comments: To: Roland <syncronicity1@gmail.com>

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Roland <syncronicity1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dennis, > > Thanks for the insights, and the answer is yes, I am very concerned that > there is a further problem beyond the oil viscosity and oil filter brand. > > > Not sure if the pressure switch is correct, but I've had this van for over > 5 > years and the switch has never been changed (and I've never had this under > pressure problem before). > > I > A couple of weeks ago, I read about the debris / sludge problem clogging > the > screen. Yes, but I have no way to check for this (that I know of) except > the oil pressure test. This engine has been pretty clean. > > I am going to try the Mann filter sitting on the workbench and try some > test > drives. Again because in this case the only thing that changed was an > oil/filter change, these are pretty low cost things to try. >

> I don't have a oil pressure gauge, that will be the next step, along with > proper debug. > > And no, I have not at all concluded that this oil type / filter are the > problem, we never know, it could be some other problem that is completely a > coincidence that it is associated with the recent oil/filter change. > > Roland >

I'd say just get a real oil pressure gauge and don't fully depend on the buzzers and warning lights. I'm not familiar with the WBX motor itself, but my Van has many of the same other parts... except I run an inline VW motor. A lot of our vendors sell gauges and what you need to get a real oil pressure reading...continuously with relative accuracy. The gauges are pretty easy to install and inexpensive (compared to a blown up motor, certainly)

A blinking light or a warning buzzer...fine, that will get your attention if you aren't interested in actually knowing what is going on in your vehicle. See no warnings...everything must be good...right? Well, sort of, maybe.....

I've learned to watch my gauges...and when I get in a car that has none....I do not like it much....You could be 'skating on thin ice"...running right at the trigger point of your 'Idiot LIght'...and you never know it. Oil pressure is especially useful to know... For instance, when I changed my block recently...the OP warning light stayed off, but I had no idea whether I had 3psi of oil pressure at idle or 15psi....Would I have been smart to head out to Patagonia or Belize without knowing my real OP?....So in went the gauge (about $40 total)....and it showed me I have ~15psi at idle and 60psi at 4000rpm....So I know everything is good with OP...rather than knowing everything is 'not wrong enough to trigger the buzzer or the blinker' but still might be dangerously low or something.

Don Hanson