Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:29:29 -0800
From:         DW <dcwilton@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Overheating/preservation question.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend we were heading to Vancouver, B.C. from Seattle. Just south of Everett, I noted some extra "smoke" coming out of the back end of the van (1991 Multivan). I slowed down and moved over to the right hand lane and doing so appeared to have quell what was going on. I drove for a few minutes and watched the temperature gauge move up a little. There was no indication of a fall in the coolant level (no indicator light went on). I put on the heater and it was blowing cold air. I became concerned and then the oil pressure light came on with the buzzer. I immediately pull over and shut off the van. Steam blew forward in front of the van from the rear engine compartment. I checked the coolant expansion tank and it was bone dry! The oil level in the engine however appeared fine. I had the van towed to Zoltan and it is now clear that the head gasket was blown. In addition the thermostat housing was severely melted. I plan on replacing the thermostat housing and due to my love of my van, I plan on replacing with the best possible part (i.e., non-melting aluminum). There are two options I have considered: the GoWesty version (GoWesty<http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23281&category_id=79&category_parent_id=>) and the VanCafe version (VanCafe<http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1292123629253/page_1191>). Does anyone have any opinions on these?

I am fully aware that many of you may have opinions on my decision making process because I did not immediately pull off the road, but please be sensitive to my emotional status -- I have a van that needs significant attention. This does lead to my other question; what should I do about the fact that the coolant level sensor did not respond as it has in the past? I have purchased another sensor, but are there other things that I should also have checked or replaced? I want the cooling system to be the best it can so I am going to replace all coolant hoses and the radiator. I am trying to do the most I can with the budget I have while the engine is out. I really want to be aware of a fall in the coolant level in the future and I would be really thankful if you might provide any sage advice on this issue or others to consider.

Thanks,

DW