Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:35:15 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Resolved: Re: Oil pressure light comes on after about 7
              minutes.
Comments: To: Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>

---- Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Ok, > > So I installed the Mann filter and drove for 1/2 hour or a bit more, uphill > downhill, fast, slow. Not a hint of the oil light/buzzer. That makes the > total of changes as the Mann filter plus 20W50 oil. So I am going to call > this resolved since there isn't any further work I feel I should do unless > it reoccurs. > > Is this conclusive? To Dennis' point, no definitely not, since we never > identified the root cause, and really can't without the pressure gauge. > There may have been some other cause that coincidentally went away during > this time period when I was "exploring" solutions with the oil/filter > changes. Not conclusive, but regardless it is pretty strong evidence that > there is something about the filter brand and oil weight. > Who knows, maybe it is the weather, it is 87 degrees here today -- extremely > annoying, since I'd rather be pushing the Syncro through 6 inches of new > snow :).

Roland, I don't know where you are, but though you seemed to be joking, indeed the weather can be a factor. Waterboxer oil may run hotter than the engine coolant in hot weather at highway speeds. The oil will then thin out and pressure will drop. . In my experience, with my '91 camper, that has occurred at ambient temperatures approaching 100 F, though the pressure has not been not low enough to trigger the light or the buzzer. Never happens at 90 F or cooler. It also requires highway speed for an extended time. I'll be adding an accessory oil cooler before summer.

You might have a hard time getting a lot of sympathy from folks buried in the blizzard today, with temperatures hovering near 0 F up north.

DMc