Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:15:47 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure light comes on after about 7 minutes.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 10:34 AM 12/12/2010, Dennis Haynes wrote: >We need to kill this myth about Mann or Mahle filters being a fix >for the oil pressure buzzer syndrome.

Right. The only thing they might fix is the clattering lifters issue, if the existing filter has no anti-drainback valve or a poor one. *If* by chance they should cure a pressure light/buzzer problem THEN IT MEANS THEY ARE MAKING AN EXISTING PROBLEM WORSE BY RESTRICTING FLOW TO THE ENGINE. I cannot emphasize this enough.

>Do you have the correct switch installed? Most parts books and ETKA are >confusing here. Most water cooled VW use a 1.8 bar switch. This just won't >work. Easy check! If your switch is white it is the wrong one.

Roland, did you check this? I believe the proper sender is blue. If you haven't checked, you really should. That would be very good news, because it would mean you don't really have a problem, just an incorrect switch.

If you have the correct sender it could be faulty. These switches have diaphragms that can develop pinhole leaks and behave oddly, gradually getting worse.

Incidentally I believe a 24 mm deep socket will reach that sender.

This would be a really really good time to install an actual oil pressure gauge. Ultimately that's what the whole question devolves to: do you have sufficient oil pressure, or is the buzzer lying to you. You can waste a lot of time trying to fix the buzzer if the real problem is low pressure...while the engine suffers.

Yours, David