Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:14:15 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Blower motor anatomy
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:41 PM 12/13/2010, Edward Maglott wrote: >Very good photos and description.

Thank you.

>Thanks for doing that. I recall >Karl Mullendore described a method to lube the motor while it's in >the van.

It's now semi-officially called the "Mullendore Port." I favor a modified version where you make a second hole to look through.

> I guess this would just get the bearing on the rear non >impeller-end.

Yes.

> Is that the end that needs more attention because it >gets so dirty?

Yes.

> How beneficial do you think Karl's remote oiling >technique would be?

It's a stopgap and it wouldn't help a frozen motor, but for a squeaky one it can certainly help a good deal. I used Tri-Flow with its application tube, but there's a brand of light oil called Supco MO-98 zoom spout turbine oil that's fairly easy to find in New England -- I just bought a bottle from local appliance parts store. It has a spout that extends to nine inches, might be enough to reach the bearing directly.

My squeak got better immediately, and it took a couple months of time-to-time use before it vanished entirely at lowest speed. It's been good over a winter and summer, which means I've put off pulling the dash until it's too cold to want to do it; so if it starts to squeak this winter it will get another shot to tide it over until spring. You won't see pictures of how to remove the motor from a Bosch blower until then, 'cause on Millee's I'd already sawn the motor apart before I remembered the photos. Which is how I found out that the Meyle isn't put together the same way. I fixed it but I broke the end off a tooth of a brand-new carbide roughing end mill when it hit the magnet. So it cost me $27 to fix Millee's $79 blower that I broke by not listening to my educated hands when they told me there was too much force and not enough movement. I guess spread out over the list that's $30 worth of education.

It's a nuisance to do, but I'd say the results are excellent. And on a Meyle blower there's not much else you can do even with it out, without rigging up a puller for the impeller which clearly Meyle did not contemplate removing. It also doesn't matter much on a Meyle blower because even if you take it out there's no felt ring to hold an oil supply.

A yearly squirt on a good blower would likely keep it good forever. All the squeaky/stuck motors I've seen have had practically unworn brushes and no serious problem at the other end, and after freeing up and lubing have worked for years with no trouble.

With regard to the Meyle blowers -- they're decently made, certain amount of molding flash on the impeller that cleans off without much trouble. The motor looks well made but they didn't work as hard on the bearings as Bosch did, and they didn't provide sealing washers at the outboard end of the shaft. If starting from scratch as I am with Sally, I think capping the end and sealing the side as much as convenient would be the way to go even though that would nullify the Mullendore Port.

Yours, David