Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:08:58 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Shocks: Follow-up report/impressions
Comments: cc: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Not long ago I posted, reporting having installed some Gabriel gas front shocks onto my low roof, most of the Westie interior, 84 5sp Inline VW gas motored van. The shocks were sourced from Bus Depot, $44.90 for the pair...I forgot Ron gives a discount to list members, but these shocks seemed an extra- good deal anyway. They're a substantial improvement over the black-bodied (couldn't find a brand) ones I took off, even though those older ones still 'felt' fully functional when I flexed them on my workbench.

I am running some Hakkapelitta 1 205-70 R-14 M+S tires on all four corners of the van, inflated to 44fr and 41r.

One trusted lister mentioned he'd been using Monroes on his adventure wagon van, so when I saw an advertisement from Advance Auto for free shipping (we don't have a store around here) I got a pair of those sent out for the rear of my van. Gas-Matic light truck, with a Limited Lifetime Replacement warranty...for just $21.99... I replaced KYB ones with the Monroes on the rear. So for under $100, I made an excellent improvement to my van's drive ability... the cost of a couple of tanks of gas only!

Changing the rears was not so noticeable at high speed highway driving as when I did the fronts, but I have noticed that the rear no longer feels like a stagecoach or an unloaded one ton dually truck when I drive on rougher roads at slower speeds...or on my gravel driveway. Those KYBs felt and sounded like someone was under there whacking the wheels with a 4x4, over even small bumps.

Of interest...the rear suspension on the Vanagon doesn't seem to have much "suspension" to it, anyhow. I notice when lifting the rear with a floor jack on the stamped out trailing arm...that flat spot where the CV joint lives...the wheel doesn't compress much before the van comes off the ground. Or when you lift off the jack point near the rear, the wheel doesn't "droop" much either. Well, I forgot to cut off one of the Monroe shock 'retaining strap' a piece of plastic banding that holds the shock slightly compressed against the gas pressure during shipping. I mounted the shocks and simply forgot that strap...on one side only...I drove around for two days before I noticed...and the plastic strap was still intact....So obviously the rear suspension doesn't travel (extension) very much....I cut off that tether and the van did rise up about 1/2" on that corner....

Gotta love our old vans. The stuff They put up with from us clutzy owners.

Another observation: My van is working so nicely right now, it's a real pleasure. Yesterday I had to go to town (about 30 miles round trip) on a nasty cold rainy day. In my yard was my van and my S.O.'s Subaru.. side by side, both gassed up and pointing down the driveway. My SO is off to the desert and left me the Subie for use as I choose, but I chose the take the Vanagon to town... 20-XX Subaru, automatic, new tires,good heater, auto tranny, AWD, fancy little unit. I went out the door fully intending to 'take advantage' of having the use of her Subie....but I just went...."I like driving my Vanagon better, don't need that steenkin Subaru..."... Don Hanson