Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:14:00 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Voltage Stabilizer in Instrument Cluster
Comments: To: Marius Strom <marstrom@MICROSOFT.COM>

The original TCA 700Y part is no longer made. The replacement has the order of the legs reversed so it must be installed upside down. There is a metal spacer installed on the heatsink part of the new reversed part so you can install it backwards and still screw it down as VW intended. That is, places selling the new part as a replacement have a modified new part to better substitute for the old part. At least this is my understanding.

Mark

Marius Strom wrote: > Baby TO-220? I ask because the Van Café photo of the part shows KA7810A, which I thought was just a rebrand of the LM7810A (which is a TO-220 package). Looking forward to the photo. > > -----Original Message----- > From: David Beierl [mailto:dbeierl@gmail.com] On Behalf Of David Beierl > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:11 PM > To: Marius Strom > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: RE: Voltage Stabilizer in Instrument Cluster > > At 04:38 PM 12/8/2010, Marius Strom wrote: >> I'd need to do some research, but isn't the part on the dash basically >> an LM7810T regulator? It's a part you can get from digikey for >> pennies. > > It's an ITT TCA 700Y, in a package sort of like a baby TO-220 with a longer thinner heat sink. Picture to follow > > Yrs, > d >